Congratulations on your election as a Candidate for the Order of the Arrow! You should take great pride in being elected. However, your Journey has not yet begun, and you are not yet a member in the Order. A greater thrill awaits you when you become a member, are decorated with the Order of the Arrow sash, and the history that goes with it is unveiled to you. This happens when you have completed the Ordeal of the Order of the Arrow successfully.
There will be an optional council-wide Call Out Ceremony on Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 5PM at Camp Tanah Keeta. This will be followed by an informational meeting for candidates and parents.
You will have two opportunities to complete your Ordeal. The first opportunity is March 3-5, 2017 at Camp Tanah Keeta. The second opportunity will be May 5-7, 2017. If you fail to complete either Ordeal, then you will have missed your chance to become a member in the Order of the Arrow, and must be re-elected again by your unit.
The fee for the Ordeal is $60 per candidate, and is broken down as follows:
1) Ordeal Weekend Fee – $22. Includes camping fee, food, and event patch.
2) OA Sash - $18. The white sash you wear with your Class A uniform.
3) 2016 Dues – $10.
4) OA Handbook - $5. Official National OA publication.
5) Aal-Pa-Tah Lodge 237 Once-In-A-Lifetime Uniform Flap - $5.
The $60 fee must be paid in full no later than the close of business on Friday, February 24, 2016. After this deadline a $5 late fee applies. To register go to the Event Registration tab of the Aal-Pa-Tah website www.aal-pa-tah.org.
We want you to have an exciting and safe experience. Please bring a current COPY of your BSA health form – Parts A, B and C including the physical. In your Ordeal, you will leave the comforts of home behind and you will be tested by exerting yourself physically on a restricted diet. If you have a physical or medical problem that could limit your participation, please notify Mr. Whalen (Lodge Adviser) immediately (firstname.lastname@example.org); we would like to make advance plans so that you can have the very best experience possible. Also please advise us of any dietary limitations.
Parents, we have prepared a parent letter that provides further details about the Order of the Arrow and your son’s upcoming Ordeal. To receive that letter electronically, just email our Lodge Adviser at email@example.com. If after receiving that letter, you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me. As always, you can find more information about Aal-Pa-Tah Lodge at www.aal-pa-tah.org. I look forward to opening the circle of our Brothers to you.
Yours in Scouting,
Aal-Pa-Tah Lodge Chief
1) Arrive at Tanah Keeta between 7:00 p.m. – 7:30 pm Friday Night. REGISTRATION WILL OPEN AT 7 PM.
2) The Gator Grill will be open on Friday evening selling food and snack items.
3) Pick up 11 AM Sunday Morning. PLEASE NOTE: The weekend does not end until Sunday morning.
DOCUMENTS TO BRING TO YOUR ORDEAL:
1) BSA HEALTH FORM – Parts A, B & C including the physical. COPY ONLY AS THIS WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
2) SPECIAL MEDICAL NEEDS FORM at the bottom of this page.
3) PAYMENT if not made in advance.
HOW TO PACK FOR YOUR ORDEAL:
YOU ARE GOING TO NEED TO PACK TWO SEPARATE PACKS FOR THE WEEKEND – A LIGHTWEIGHT DAY PACK FOR FRIDAY NIGHT AND A TYPICAL BACKPACK FOR THE REST OF THE WEEKEND.
GEAR FOR FRIDAY NIGHT ONLY
· PLEASE COME DRESSED IN WEATHER APPROPRIATE CLOTHING (jeans, short or long sleeve shirt, closed toe shoes, work gloves and a hat)
· Sleeping bag, Ground cloth or Foam mat
· Sunscreen, Poncho or Rain Gear, Water Bottle
· Personal Hygiene Items (deodorant, toothbrush.)
· All Medications needed for the weekend.
· Spending Money For the Gator Grill (Optional)
GEAR FOR THE WEEKEND
· Backpack with tent
· Extra pair of closed toe shoes
· Class A & B Complete Uniform (DO NOT WEAR TO CAMP!)
· Personal Hygiene Items (towel, soap, shampoo, etc.)
· Swim trunks
NOTE: YOUTH – NO ELECTRONICS – PLEASE LEAVE THEM AT HOME OR THEY WILL BE COLLECTED AT CHECK IN AND RETURNED ON SUNDAY MORNING.