You must meet the five challenges of Brotherhood Membership before you can enter the Circle of Brotherhood. The first, you should meet immediately. The next three you can meet through steady effort over a period of time. The last you can fulfill after you have satisfied the first four. The five challenges of Brotherhood are listed below.
- Memorize the Signs of Arrow Membership. Memorize the Obligation of the Order, which you received from Allowat Sakima. Also, memorize the Order of the Arrow Official Song, the Admonition, the sign of Ordeal Membership, and the Arrow handclasp.
- Advance in your understanding of the Order. Gain a thorough understanding of the Ordeal through which you have passed.
- Serve your unit. Retain your registration and active membership in the Gulf Stream Council, BSA. During a period of at least 10 months, strive to fulfill your Obligation by continuing and expanding your service to your own Troop or Team.
- Plan for service in your Lodge. Retain your registration in Aal-Pa-Tah Lodge and keep your dues paid. Be aware that acceptance of Brotherhood Membership involves a pledge of service to our Lodge. Develop a concrete idea of how you plan to fulfill this pledge.
- Review your progress. When you earnestly feel that you have met the four challenges above, write a letter to our Lodge Secretary.
- In this letter:
- Explain what you think the Obligation means.
- Describe how you have been fulfilling this Obligation in your Troop or Team and in your daily life, and how you have used your understanding of the Ordeal to aid in this service.
- Describe your specific plans for giving service in our Lodge program.
- Please bring your letter to you to the Lodge weekend at which you plan to go through your Brotherhood Ceremony.
- Additionally, soon after submitting your letter, you should register for the weekend.
- This can be done using either the standard registration form or the on-line payment system. The fee for Brotherhood is $18, which covers the cost of your new sash. (Note: your Lodge dues must also be current. If your Lodge dues are not current to the year in which you are completing your ceremony, then you must also pay $10 to update your Lodge dues.)
- In this letter: